Selling used books online is one of the easiest, most fun, and most profitable part-time businesses out there. There is little guesswork when you use the tools that I'm about to show you, when deciding which books to buy for resale, and they are everywhere! For as little as 10 cents you can purchase a book that will resell for $ 4 – $ 100 or more on Amazon or other online selling sites.
When I first heard about selling used books online, it looked like it would be a big hassle. I figured you would have to list hundreds of books, not knowing what they were worth, and spend hours making an individual eBay-style listing for each one. Then ship dozens of books a day and only make a buck or two each. It did not sound too exciting.
But I looked into it further and discovered 10 exciting facts about selling used books online that I did not know:
1. You can find out what a book is selling for on Amazon with an inexpensive portable device you can take with you when you shop – and it takes less than one second for the device to scan the book and give you a value and Amazon Sales Rank (popularity).
2. It is easy to visually eliminate the books that are not worth much without even scanning, once you learn a few guidelines.
3. You're actually looking for mostly newer books that are still popular in bookstores, not antiques
4. You can purchase these books for next to nothing at garage sales, thrift stores, library books sales, and more – and they're worth $ 4- $ 100 each for the right books. They also sell quickly if they have high Amazon sales (your device tells you this before you buy)
5. Once you get the books home, you simply scan them again, and using another easy-to-use listing tool, the listing for the book is instantly created. All you have to do is price the book based on the other books available and assign a condition.
6. Orders are also received automatically by special software, and the software prints prepaid sticky postage labels.
7. You can pack each book in less than a minute and apply the shipping label. There's sending out books only takes a short time, and you only have to do it 3 times a week.
8. You do not have to wait in line at the post office, just drop them off.
9. Your funds are auto-deposited into your account every two weeks.
10. You can instantly shut down, and reopen your store if you become busy or take a vacation.
I've been selling used books now for about 3 years, and although my main business is real estate, I still do it because the "treasure hunt" of finding the books is still addicting. Something about buying a book that resells for $ 83 for only a dollar is hard to resist!
So think about starting your own used book business. You can shop for books on off-hours, and list and ship the books anytime of the day or night. And having an extra thousand or two dollars a month coming in, never hurt anyone! In fact, for many people in today's economy I bet it could have the difference between paying the month's bills or falling behind. Personally, I make my mortgage payment by selling used books online, and do not even have to worry about it each month anymore.